Gerald A. Smith graduated from the Canadian School of Embalming in 1938. He married Eleanor J. Neice, (a Grace Grad RN) August 11, 1945. They founded our funeral home in 1945 in a home purchased from Warren F. Hendershot. The original owner and presumed builder, Gordon Ferriss built the home in the late 1890's. The home was remodeled into a funeral home and established Essex County's first 24 hour ambulance service outside the City of Windsor. In 1962 a new chapel and visiting areas were added and completely renovated in 2010-12, to better serve our community. The ambulance service ceased operation December 31, 2008, when the County of Essex had taken the service over. This was the last funeral home and ambulance service operated in Ontario.